20 Oct, 2008

Big Turk

Posted by: Michael In: Candy Bars

Big Turk

This has always been a candy that, alongside stuff like Eat More and Bridge Mixture, I can’t say I fully understand. It’s one of those things you never actually see anyone eat, but always seems to be in there with the rest of the candy bars at the store. So who’s buying these? Older people, I guess? The packaging proudly proclaims that it’s low in fat (with “60% less fat than the average chocolate bar”) so I suppose that it might appeal to dieters or people who are trying to cut down.

This is actually only the second time in my life that I’ve eaten a Big Turk; it definitely isn’t one of the first bars you go for when you’re a kid, but once you realize that you’ve tried everything else at the store, you start wanting to try something new – even if it looks suspiciously unappealing. Well, the kid version of me took a couple of bites, deemed this completely inedible and never looked back.

This definitely isn’t quite as bad as I remember it being – I think part of the reason I hated it so much as a kid was the shock of finding gummy candy inside of a chocolate bar, which still seems incongruous to me, but which completely horrified me when I took my first bite, completely unprepared for what lay within (the wrapper in no way indicates that’s it’s gummy candy inside there, and if you’re a kid and you have no idea what Turkish Delight is, you’re in for quite a surprise). This time around, knowing what it was, I didn’t find it to be offensively bad, but I don’t think I’ll be running out to buy another one anytime soon.

In case it’s not clear from the picture, the Big Turk consists solely of a piece of gummy candy coated in milk chocolate. The gummy is extremely chewy, and is of the sticks-to-your-teeth variety. I’m not sure what the flavour is supposed to be; there’s no indication on the packaging, and the ingredients list yields no clues other than the presence of citric acid. There is a mild tartness to it, but other than that it just has a generic fruity/gummy flavour. The milk chocolate is fine, but not necessarily the best accompaniment to the fruity candy.

I think this is essentially just a case of two good things that shouldn’t go together. I like chocolate, and I like gummy candy, but cram the two together and I’m not so sure you have a winner.

2 out of 4

Manufactured by: Nestle
Calories (60 g bar): 230

13 Responses to "Big Turk"

1 | Teresa B.

December 4th, 2008 at 7:10 pm

It looks like a North American version of Uk’s popular Fry’s Turkish Delight.

My British boss offered me one these - his favorite candy. It kind of tasted like I was eating chocolate covered perfume. Not horrible, just not something to get excited over.

2 | Dawn Ricard

July 7th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I LOVE BIG TURK! My dad introduced me to it as a kid, and I enjoyed it so much, I used to get a case of them wrapped under the Christmas Tree! You’re right, you never see anyone eating them, but as someone who is very picky about the freshness of my Big Turk (I squeeze them to make sure they’re soft, I do the same with licorice) I have noticed that it is rare to find one that is old and stale.
These are very different from the turkish delight found in the UK, not perfumy at all. Just like eating a Jujube wrapped in chocolate! How can you go wrong? LOL

3 | Rachel

November 27th, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I love all things gummy so I love Big Turk! I’ve tried many flavours of turkish delight and Big Turk might be called ‘orginal flavour’ turkish delight, what you’re tasting (and what makes it come off to many as ‘perfumey’) is that it’s made with rose water. Basically an extract of rose petals (which are, of course perfectly edible!) I actually find the quality of the chocolate in Big Turk to be poor so I usually break it or suck it off before enjoying the centre! The ‘original’ rosewater flavour of turkish delight isn’t my favourite even though I can get it in a bar, the best flavour I’ve had was pineapple with bits of macadamia nut in it…mmmm

4 | Adam

January 28th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Big Turk is my favorite candy bar. My brother told me about them when i was a kid back in the early 80’s and i’ve loved them ever since.

5 | Vijay Prozak

April 9th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I can’t eat anything unless I know what natural phenomenon upon which it is based. What, exactly, is the Big Turk supposed to taste like? What is the original Turkish Delight? Is it made from fruit or petrochemicals? Do tell!

6 | troy

January 27th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

‘Slurp and Turk’ …that’s the combination of a Big Turk chocolate bar and a 7-11 Slurpee. It’s a classic combination and a dietary staple.

In moderation of course.

7 | Vicki

August 25th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I love big Turk too. It is a bit like Fry’s Turkish delight, though the Turkish delight is milder in flavour, and less dense. It is a purely Canadian treat.

For those who don’t know, Turkish delight is meant to be rise flavour. I quite like it, but then again I also like Parma violets.

8 | Google

June 21st, 2014 at 1:31 am

is updated frequently with free advice about Google Ad - Words strategy, tactics, tips tricks and techniques
for success in Ad - Words advertising. It has the highest ROI (Return of Invesment) in all
advertisement channels. * Page SEO: Your page is optimized
by various means which include, choosing the right keywords,
placing them right, adding anchor text linking, adding call to
action in various places on the page.

9 | Google

September 11th, 2014 at 12:08 pm

It will also increase the ranking of your website on search engines and will
drive more traffic to your website. This will allow you to answer only those calls that come in on your forwarded toll
free number and route other calls to different locations.
And then on March 20, the world’s largest paid private blog network - BMR - announced that its vast network had been almost
entirely de-indexed by Google, causing chaos in the internet marketing industries.

10 | cruise travel magazine App

November 5th, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Highly energetic post, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

11 | Andra

May 27th, 2015 at 4:50 am

Juegos de futbol () - Puede registrarte en nuestro portal de
juegos Fabulozo juego de futbol que puedes jugar gratis en nuestro portal.

12 | pandora profits cost

December 4th, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this website, as i wish for enjoyment, as this this web site conations genuinely good
funny stuff too.

13 | Justine Trudora

July 30th, 2017 at 11:29 am

Swedish confectionary company Nestle makes this Turkish delight solely for the Canadian market. How international!

The sweet, mild flavour of the jelly has a hint of the exotic with a slight floral undertone, and paired with the familiar taste of a simple milk chocolate coating the BigTurk is appealing to many.

note: While traditional lokum is often flavored with rose, the Big Turk lists only “artificial flavor” as ingredient so I expect no actual rose extract is used. Cadbury’s Fry’s TD list “flavourings” and I’ve heard this includes a small amount of potent rose oil.

Comment Form

Flickr PhotoStream

• Reese Fudge
  • Reese Fudge - the inside
  • Reese Fudge - the wrapper
  • Reese Fudge - the cups

About

Candyrageous is a blog about candy. Candy candy candy! (though mostly candy bars.) Here you'll find reviews of various candies, rated out of four.

This blog is maintained by Michael Nusair, who can be reached at michael@candyrageous.com